Friday, January 31, 2014

Life of an Expat

Wikipedia defines an expatriate (sometimes shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person's upbringing. What this definition fails to define is the emotional side and complexity of being an expat.
When I was leaving the US, several people told I was brave to be taking on this move. Little did I realize at the time just how brave I would have to be. I never thought living 12,000 miles away from my family and friends compared to living 900 miles (while in Seattle/San Francisco) would make such a difference...but boy does it ever.
As I start my 2nd month of living here, it's all becoming a reality that this is not a vacation, but definitely something permanent. The friends and colleagues that I am meeting will be my new circle and "family" for the next few years. But the interesting thing is that they are all in the same boat as well. 85% of the population of Dubai are expats, that means you have the largest melting pot of cultures in the world! Fairmont The Palm has nearly 60 nationalities of colleagues, pretty impressive. (and over 700 employees for a 381 room hotel! That's nearly 2 employees per guest. Quite a service ratio!) Everyone of those people have gone through, and are going through the same thoughts, feelings and emotions that I am. We have all left something behind...family, friends, pets, homes, and more than anything...comfort.
Everyday is a new challenge, whether it's work related or personal life related. Nothing is comfortable anymore. Yes, I certainly miss waking up and curling up on my incredibly comfortable brown corduroy couch (hope you are enjoying Kurt and Mindy!), which I now have a lovely IKEA cardboard couch the hotel as nicely provided me :) in terms of comfort. But the comfort I really mean is the ability to just call my mom on my way home from work (calls=scheduling over facetime/Skype now), or walk across the street to get a Starbucks (no coffee shops without driving from Fairmont The Palm, and Starbucks is far and few between), or understanding the various food items in the employee cafĂ© or grocery store (I still have NO idea what I am eating half the time!). And the list goes on and on...My friend told me recently that being an expat means you sacrifice a lot, yes it appears you're "on vacation 7 days a week" and while the sunshine, beaches, night life, etc is all wonderful, the deep longing for that comfort will never go away.
As time goes on, things settle more and each day gets easier and easier. I learn more about my job and role that I play within Fairmont (separate blog for work life to come :), I meet more people (that is one thing that is amazing here! Everyone is SO welcoming and inviting. Not cliquey like home where everyone is stuck to their core group of friends. Here everyone is open to bringing on new friends, meeting new people and really acting like a family), my home becomes more of a home (I still cannot WAIT for my shipment to arrive...Christmas x10 when it does!!), and a routine of some sort is starting to form.
In the long run, life of being an expat will be the greatest time of my life because of the new perceptions, lessons, obstacles, and adventures I will take in. Life is a roller coaster and you just have to hold on...and keep your eyes open to enjoy the ride!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment